Coronavirus: IOC to hold crisis talks with sports bodies
NEW DELHI [Maha Media]: With less than five months to go for the Tokyo Olympics, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach plans emergency talks with member organizations, sources close to the IOC said in Lausanne, Switzerland yesterday.
A Spokesman said that IOC will take stock of the actions taken to respond to the coronavirus crisis as the organization conducts regular dialogue with all the Olympic partners and regularly informs them of the situation, added.
While many international sporting events have been postponed or cancelled, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe promised on Friday that Tokyo would host the Olympic Games as planned in July and August.
Mr Bach said on Thursday that IOC would follow the recommendations of the World Health Organization regarding a possible postponement.
A 21-year-old youth football coach Francisco Garcia has died in Malaga, Spain, after contracting coronavirus, his club said. Garcia, a youth team coach of Spanish league second division side Atletico Portada Alta, was found to be suffering from leukaemia after being rushed to a local hospital with severe COVID-19 symptoms.
Meanwhile, Centre for Disease Control has recommended that sporting events and other large events and mass gatherings be cancelled or postponed for the next eight weeks.
The Novel Coronavirus, which has been declared as global pandemic by WHO has so far killed more than 5,700 people, infected more than one lakh and fifty thousand and spread to 146 countries of the world.